|Title||Weakness is not well documented.|
|Assigned user||Gareth Rees|
|Description||Weakness is not well documented.|
The documentation has precious little to say about weakness. Even
basic things like what the semantics of a weak reference are are
We need documentation for:
- description of weak reference semantics, and in particular that all
weak references get splatted together*.
- how weakness interacts with finalization
- different sorts of weakness (if we implement them)
- what is weakness good for?
- implementing part-weak part-strong hash tables (because its a common
Possible we need subjobs for these things as we decide to do them.
|Analysis||Decide what we want the behaviour to be, document it.|
* See . It turns out that there is a defect in the MPS that can cause it to not splat all weak references to some object atomically (job001666). I believe lack of documentation may have contributed to the defect.
GDR 2012-11-01: For now, I've documented that weak references may die at different times.
|Created by||David Jones|
|Created on||2007-06-27 12:30:02|
|Last modified by||Gareth Rees|
|Last modified on||2012-11-03 14:49:04|
|History||2007-06-27 DRJ Created.|
2012-10-17 GDR Assigned to GDR.
|180202||closed||2012-10-31 17:45:35||Gareth Rees||Write weak references chapter.|
|180165||open||2012-10-30 17:03:29||Gareth Rees||Write pool reference.|