MPS Design Documents
|copyright||See Copyright and License.|
This is the catalogue of design documents of the Memory Pool System product.
This is not a complete set of design documents for the MPS. We have many hundreds of documents from before the MPS was acquired by Ravenbrook on 2001-08-10, many of which contain confidential information [RB_2002-06-18]. We are sorting through these and will include more as time goes on. We have tried to select the key documents for inclusion in the open source release, by including those documents referenced by the source code.
If there is a document you think might exist and want to see it, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will try to dig it up.
|alloc-frame||Design of the MPS allocation frame protocol|
|arena||The design of the MPS arena|
|arenavm||Virtual memory arena|
|buffer||Allocation buffers and allocation points|
|cbs||Design for coalescing block structure|
|check||Design of checking in MPS|
|class-interface||Design of the pool class interface|
|collection||The collection framework|
|config||The design of MPS configuration|
|critical-path||The critical path through the MPS|
|diag||The design of MPS diagnostic feedback|
|fix||The Design of the Generic Fix Function|
|freelist||Free list allocator|
|guide.hex.trans||Guide to transliterating the alphabet into hexadecimal|
|guide.impl.c.format||Coding standard: conventions for the general format of C source code in the MPS|
|interface-c||The design of the Memory Pool System interface to C|
|io||The design of the MPS I/O subsystem|
|keyword-arguments||The design of the MPS mechanism for passing arguments by keyword.|
|lib||The design of the Memory Pool System library interface|
|lock||The design of the lock module|
|locus||The design for the locus manager|
|message||MPS to client message protocol|
|message-gc||Messages sent when garbage collection begins or ends|
|object-debug||Debugging Features for Client Objects|
|pool||The design of the pool and pool class mechanisms|
|poolamc||The design of the automatic mostly-copying memory pool class|
|poolams||The design of the automatic mark-and-sweep pool class|
|poolawl||Automatic weak linked|
|poollo||Leaf object pool class|
|poolmfs||The design of the manual fixed small memory pool class|
|poolmv||The design of the manual variable memory pool class|
|poolmvt||The design of a new manual-variable memory pool class|
|poolmvff||Design of the manually-managed variable-size first-fit pool|
|prot||Generic design of the protection module|
|protan||ANSI implementation of protection module|
|protli||Linux implementation of protection module|
|protocol||The design for protocol inheritance in MPS|
|protsu||SunOS 4 implementation of protection module|
|pthreadext||Design of the Posix thread extensions for MPS|
|reservoir||The design of the low-memory reservoir|
|ring||The design of the ring data structure|
|root||The design of the root manager|
|scan||The design of the generic scanner|
|seg||The design of the MPS segment data structure|
|shield||Shield abstraction: separate control of collector access and mutator (client) access to memory|
|sig||Signatures in the MPS|
|splay||Design of splay trees|
|sso1al||Stack scanner for Digital Unix / Alpha systems|
|telemetry||The design of the MPS telemetry mechanism|
|tests||The design of MPS internal tests|
|thread-manager||The design of the MPS thread manager|
|thread-safety||Thread Safety in the MPS|
|type||The design of the general MPS types|
|version-library||Design of the MPS library version mechanism|
|version||Design of MPS software versions|
|vm||The design of the virtual mapping interface|
|vman||ANSI fake VM|
|vmo1||VM Module on DEC Unix|
|vmso||VM Design for Solaris|
|writef||The design of the MPS writef function|
|[RB_2002-06-18]||(1, 2) "The Obsolete Memory Management Information System"; Richard Brooksby; Ravenbrook Limited; 2002-06-18; <http://www.ravenbrook.com/project/mps/doc/2002-06-18/obsolete-mminfo>.|
- 2002-05-23 RB Created empty catalogue based on P4DTI design document catalogue.
- 2002-06-07 RB Added a bunch of design documents referenced by the source code.
- 2002-06-21 NB Remove P4DTI reference, which doesn't fit here. Maybe one day we'll have a corporate design document procedure.
- 2002-06-24 RB Added fix, object-debug, thread-manager, and thread-safety.
- 2007-02-08 RHSK Added message-gc and shield.
- 2007-06-12 RHSK Added cstyle.
- 2007-06-28 RHSK Added diag.
- 2008-12-04 RHSK Added tests.
- 2008-12-10 RHSK Correct description of message-gc: gc begin or end.
- 2012-09-14 RB Added link to critical-path
- 2013-05-10 RB Fixed link to sig and added guide.hex.trans
- 2013-05-22 GDR Add link to keyword-arguments.
- 2013-05-25 RB Replacing "cstyle" with reworked "guide.impl.c.format".
- 2013-06-07 RB Converting to reST. Linking to [RB_2002-06-18].
- 2014-01-29 RB The arena no longer manages generation zonesets.
Copyright and License
Copyright © 2002-2014 Ravenbrook Limited. All rights reserved. <http://www.ravenbrook.com/>. This is an open source license. Contact Ravenbrook for commercial licensing options.
Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
- Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
- Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
- Redistributions in any form must be accompanied by information on how to obtain complete source code for this software and any accompanying software that uses this software. The source code must either be included in the distribution or be available for no more than the cost of distribution plus a nominal fee, and must be freely redistributable under reasonable conditions. For an executable file, complete source code means the source code for all modules it contains. It does not include source code for modules or files that typically accompany the major components of the operating system on which the executable file runs.
This software is provided by the copyright holders and contributors "as is" and any express or implied warranties, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or non-infringement, are disclaimed. In no event shall the copyright holders and contributors be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special, exemplary, or consequential damages (including, but not limited to, procurement of substitute goods or services; loss of use, data, or profits; or business interruption) however caused and on any theory of liability, whether in contract, strict liability, or tort (including negligence or otherwise) arising in any way out of the use of this software, even if advised of the possibility of such damage.