MPS Design Documents
|copyright||See Copyright and License.|
This is the catalogue of design documents of the Memory Pool System product.
This is not a complete set of design documents for the MPS. We have many hundreds of documents from before the MPS was acquired by Ravenbrook on 2001-08-10, many of which contain confidential information [RB_2002-06-18]. We are sorting through these and will include more as time goes on. We have tried to select the key documents for inclusion in the open source release, by including those documents referenced by the source code.
If there is a document you think might exist and want to see it, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will try to dig it up.
|alloc-frame||Allocation frame protocol|
|arenavm||Virtual memory arena|
|buffer||Allocation buffers and allocation points|
|cbs||Coalescing block structures|
|clock||Fast high-resolution clock|
|critical-path||The critical path through the MPS|
|fix||The generic fix function|
|freelist||Free list allocator|
|guide.developer||Guide for new developers|
|guide.hex.trans||Transliterating the alphabet into hexadecimal|
|guide.impl.c.format||Coding standard: conventions for the general format of C source code in the MPS|
|guide.impl.c.naming||Coding standard: conventions for internal names|
|land||Lands (collections of address ranges)|
|message||Client message protocol|
|nailboard||Nailboards for ambiguously referenced segments|
|object-debug||Debugging features for client objects|
|poolamc||Automatic Mostly-Copying pool class|
|poolams||Automatic Mark-and-Sweep pool class|
|poolawl||Automatic Weak Linked pool class|
|poollo||Leaf Object pool class|
|poolmfs||Manual Fixed Small pool class|
|poolmrg||Manual Rank Guardian pool class|
|poolmvt||Manual Variable Temporal pool class|
|poolmvff||Manual Variable First-Fit pool class|
|protix||POSIX implementation of protection module|
|pthreadext||POSIX thread extensions|
|range||Ranges of addresses|
|ring||Ring data structure|
|scan||The generic scanner|
|seg||Segment data structure|
|sig||Signatures in the MPS|
|stack-scan||Stack and register scanning|
|thread-safety||Thread safety in the MPS|
|type||General MPS types|
|version-library||Library version mechanism|
|writef||The WriteF function|
|[RB_2002-06-18]||(1, 2) "The Obsolete Memory Management Information System"; Richard Brooksby; Ravenbrook Limited; 2002-06-18; <http://www.ravenbrook.com/project/mps/doc/2002-06-18/obsolete-mminfo>.|
- 2002-05-23 RB Created empty catalogue based on P4DTI design document catalogue.
- 2002-06-07 RB Added a bunch of design documents referenced by the source code.
- 2002-06-21 NB Remove P4DTI reference, which doesn't fit here. Maybe one day we'll have a corporate design document procedure.
- 2002-06-24 RB Added fix, object-debug, thread-manager, and thread-safety.
- 2007-02-08 RHSK Added message-gc and shield.
- 2007-06-12 RHSK Added cstyle.
- 2007-06-28 RHSK Added diag.
- 2008-12-04 RHSK Added tests.
- 2008-12-10 RHSK Correct description of message-gc: gc begin or end.
- 2012-09-14 RB Added link to critical-path
- 2013-05-10 RB Fixed link to sig and added guide.hex.trans
- 2013-05-22 GDR Add link to keyword-arguments.
- 2013-05-25 RB Replacing "cstyle" with reworked "guide.impl.c.format".
- 2013-06-07 RB Converting to reST. Linking to [RB_2002-06-18].
- 2014-01-29 RB The arena no longer manages generation zonesets.
- 2014-01-17 GDR Add abq, nailboard, range.
- 2016-03-22 RB Add write-barier.
- 2016-03-27 RB Goodbye pool MV sniff.
Copyright and License
Copyright © 2002-2018 Ravenbrook Limited <http://www.ravenbrook.com/>. All rights reserved. This is an open source license. Contact Ravenbrook for commercial licensing options.
Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
- Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
- Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
- Redistributions in any form must be accompanied by information on how to obtain complete source code for this software and any accompanying software that uses this software. The source code must either be included in the distribution or be available for no more than the cost of distribution plus a nominal fee, and must be freely redistributable under reasonable conditions. For an executable file, complete source code means the source code for all modules it contains. It does not include source code for modules or files that typically accompany the major components of the operating system on which the executable file runs.
This software is provided by the copyright holders and contributors "as is" and any express or implied warranties, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or non-infringement, are disclaimed. In no event shall the copyright holders and contributors be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special, exemplary, or consequential damages (including, but not limited to, procurement of substitute goods or services; loss of use, data, or profits; or business interruption) however caused and on any theory of liability, whether in contract, strict liability, or tort (including negligence or otherwise) arising in any way out of the use of this software, even if advised of the possibility of such damage.