Founder, director, and Senior Consultant.
- Software engineering
management. How to deliver products of known quality on time
and to budget.
- Software architecture and
design. Abstraction and modularity to produce scalable,
portable, robust, and flexible solutions.
- Software development. Common
Lisp. Python. ISO C (chapter and verse). Building solid code.
Refactoring. Compilers, debuggers, even staring at hex dumps.
Performance analysis and improvement.
- Memory management. Garbage
collection, manual memory management, custom solutions, analysis and
- Science software. Well-known advocate for open science
software. Creator of
the Science Code
Manifesto. Founder and director of the Climate Code
Director, Ravenbrook Limited.
Consulting for clients in the UK and the US. Management, analysis,
architecture, design, coding, refactoring, coding standards, process
definition and improvement, internet and intranet design and coding,
systems and network management. Also founder and director of
the Climate Code Foundation and
creator of the Science Code
- 1990-1997: Computer Consultant, Harlequin Limited. Compilers,
runtimes, thread systems, profilers, process improvement, memory management.
With a two year break as:
- 1992-1993: Visiting Research Programmer, Fox Project, Carnegie Mellon
University: compilers, runtimes, thread systems, networking, academic
- Before 1990: A number of inconsequential short-term programming jobs.